Thursday, February 19, 2009

22 second cousins (and no first cousins?)

I (Marcus) was thinking about cousins tonight. There is a very real possibility that London and Liberty could grow up without any full first cousins -- a major departure from my and Savannah's experience.

On my mom's side, I have six cousins. On my dad's side, I have three. Savannah has two-dozen!

My older half-sister, Stephanie, has twins -- Kennedy and Foster -- who live in Nashville. They are, for all intents and purposes, my kids' cousins. Although technically, they aren't full first cousins... they are half-first cousins, because Stephanie is my half-sister.

Same is true for my little half-sister, Shannon. If she has children someday, they probably will be quite a bit younger than my two (they BETTER had be... she's only 18!), and they will still be half-first cousins.

Our only hope is for Savannah's full-blooded brother and/or sister to have children, which only time will tell. Otherwise, London and Liberty will have to enjoy the company of their 22 second cousins (the children of our first cousins). Nineteen of those are from Savannah's side, and of those, about a half-dozen of those will be in the age range to play with London and Liberty when we all visit Idaho.

But really, in the end, kids don't care if their cousins are "first", "half-first" or "second" cousins! They just want someone to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
html hit counter