Monday, February 28, 2011

Ice, Ice ... Baby?

Well, here we are, in the final hours of February 2011, and our little Ivy still isn't here. For the first time, we're sailing in the uncharted waters of post-term pregnancy. Today, Monday, Feb. 28, is two days past Ivy's due date, and still no imminent signs.

Not that it's a bad thing. This week has had its share of weather scares. Earlier in the week, the news channels got all abuzz about the coming SNOWPOCALYPSE, calling for massive snowfall in the Portland area, which means mega-massive snowfall up here at the 1,000-foot level. We indeed got snow -- and were praying that Ivy wouldn't come, and she didn't. But the snow wasn't THAT bad, anyway.

Over the last week, I've tried ALL the "home remedies" to induce labor, the most popular being the consumption of spicy foods. In the last week I've taken Savannah to Five Guys Burgers & Fries three times, each netting her a large portion of Cajun-style spicy fries. No go.

Despite being worried about the weather earlier in the week (I was out Wednesday and half of Thursday), the biggest worries should have come today, as we got about a foot of snow out of nowhere. (Where were the Snowpocalypse Doomsday Prognosticators THEN?) It was weird, though. I had that peace that surpasses all understanding sweep over me, and I knew that Ivy wouldn't show up during this most inauspicious of times. (That said, I did go to Howcast and get a crash course in baby delivery were the need to arise, because we weren't going ANYWHERE.)

That peace really allowed me to enjoy the day. It started off with me and London getting doughnuts at Joe's, as I noticed the heavy rains turned into snain (snow-rain mix), and then into full-on snow. We played and played upstairs with the Little People farm toys, and then had a leisurely lunch while watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. During the kids' nap, Savannah rested while I sat in my recliner working for NewReleaseTuesday.com and watching the flakes come down. After nap, I took London and Liberty outside to play in the snow. We built a snowman, threw snowballs and trudged down the street to the park to swing and slide in the snow.

The snow event came as our groceries essentially ran out. Fortunately, the snow had turned into a citywide slurpee by the time 7 p.m. rolled around, so I was able to slide my way around Sandy to pick up a snow day pizza for dinner. It was overall a good day, because I was able to enjoy it with full assurance that everything was going to be OK.

What happens next? We don't know! We're still trying to come to terms with the fact that we're having a March baby! Any guesses when Ivy will make her grand appearance? Will she come of her own accord, or will we eventually have to evict her?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
html hit counter